Looking for the perfect dessert that “tastes” like it’s made with all the bad stuff but is actually NOT! Welcome to the coconut banana muffin.
Photo: Courtesy of Don’t Mess With Mama.
So these little precious gems will hack your sweet cravings. Make a big batch and you can munch on up to four per serving. If you have a bunch of leftovers, just freeze them in a ziplock. So now comes the recipe. And if you’re not a vegan you’re probably wondering what the heck is a flax egg!? Yeah, I hear you. I never heard of a flax egg in my life either. But this is all you do PER EGG: One tablespoon ground flax and 2 1/2 tablespoons water and mix for 5 seconds. Let sit for 5 minutes and it will look like the consistency of an egg. Done.
THE FLAX EGG!
- 4 medium ripe bananas
- Half cup of local honey or organic brown sugar (the only not so good ingredient)
- ¼ cup melted organic coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon pink Himalayan salt
- ¾ cup organic sprouted spelt flour
- ¾ cup organic almond flour
- ½ cup organic rolled oats
- 2 flax eggs for vegan option (or 2 eggs)
- ½ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- ½ cup mini organic chocolate chips (if desired)
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F and lightly grease mini-muffin tin with coconut oil.
- Prepare flax egg in a large mixing bowl. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add banana and mash, leaving a bit lumpy for texture.
- Add brown sugar, baking soda, salt and whisk for one minute.
- Stir in vanilla, melted coconut oil and mix.
- Add flour, oats, chia, and chocolate chips and stir with a spoon or spatula until just combined.
- Put in mini muffin trays. Don't forget to spray.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- If you're feeling it, sprinkle with extra shredded coconut.
So big thanks to my niece Jelly for bringing this recipe into my life and her vegan friend Brittney who made them for her. Check out Brittney’s Instagram, Plant Based Bird for more vegan recipes.
Tiffany and my cohort in baking, cooking, laughing, and once in a blue moon….working, Kitty.