Y’all, I don’t mean to brag but my soup game is so strong right now. I can’t take all the credit because the local, fresh summer produce makes it easy and tasty to whip up a spicy gazpacho or a cool peach soup in no time.
But…what about the rest of the year or when you encounter a situation like I did today. I just got back from a fabulous beach trip with my other family (my husband’s), went to the store to stock up and when I went to put the three one pint of coconut and cashew milk ice cream in the freezer, it was so full it. would. not. shut.
So what to do? I took out all of the frozen veggies and made something magical.
- 3-4 bags frozen veggies of your choice
- 1 shallot
- 1 clove of chopped garlic
- 1 box of chicken stock (use veggie if you want to make it vegetarian, won't bother me a bit!)
- 1T EVOO
- 2T Nutritional Yeast (optional)
- seeds and spices of your choice (I used dill, mustard, and celery seed plus some homemade steak seasoning)
- Heat the EVOO in a heavy bottom pan, I use a dutch oven. Add chopped garlic and shallot. After simmering for about three minutes add all your frozen veggie goodness and spices and nutritional yeast. Let everything thaw, cook and hang together for about 15-20 minutes. Add one box of chicken stock. Bring to a boil then turn off.
- When soup is cooled you can eat it just like that or do what I did. BLEND IT. I used an immersion blender. Serve garnish with S&P, parmesan cheese, pine nuts, parsley, whatever you want!
Have some extra? I love to put this soup in a glass jar and give to my friends and neighbors. They love it too!
Any other ideas for summer soup? Let’s hear ’em!