DO NOT knock it until you try it. This recipe is completely satisfying and gets the thumbs up big time by the meatiest meat eaters. Some people did not catch on that this “hot dog” is a vegan recipe until they almost devoured the entire thing. Try it… it’s cheap, it’s easy, and you will have another “go to” recipe that you will continue to enjoy over and over again. The inspiration came from a local food truck, The Jacked Rabbit, which is a fairly new obsession here in town. Lynchburg party people, if you do not want to commit to making this recipe then go try it first and let us know!
I found the first recipe here but decided to use what is in my cabinet <– Check it out to be inspired!! They have four different ways to top the hot dog so you never, ever get bored.
So here is the full recipe I used. Get creative!
- 4 thick carrots
- 2 tablespoons liquid smoke (I was not keen on using this ingredient but it really does make a difference)
- 2 tablespoons organic tamari
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- Double it up!!! You can make these and heat them up! I looked in my cabinet and topped this with:
- Amy’s vegetarian chili
- Inspiralized instructions:
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Peel the carrots. For true hot dog resemblance, when peeling, round the edges (like a hot dog.)
- In a small bowl, whisk together the liquid smoke, soy sauce, maple syrup, onion and garlic powder. Place the carrots in a shallow baking dish and pour over the liquid mixture. If you have the time, cover and let them marinate for at least 2 hours. If not, that’s okay, just roll the carrots around in the mixture, using your fingertips to massage the marinade into the carrots. When the carrots are coated in the mixture, season with pepper and transfer to the baking sheet. Roast for 35 minutes or until fork tender. Every five minutes, brush the carrots with the remaining marinade mixture.
- Once your carrot dog is done, place it into a hot dog bun and top it with your favorite hot dog toppings.