Are you sun kissed yet?
I love the heat but sometimes it can be a b$$ch to stay hydrated. We talk water all the time but what about hydrating foods? Yes, certain food can help hydrate you. Naturally, we can find most of these at the farmers amarket this time of year. Our personal favorite is watermelon. We are from the south… Watermelon is evrywhere. Here is popular salad dish that keeps popping up on menus. Tiffany made me this watermelon salad last summer and I have been thinking about it since.
Our Watermelon Feta salad is sweet, savory, and full of nutrients that will keep us satisfied and feeling great. Considering it is 95% water it is a super hydrator that is also full of vitamin C, A, B6 and high in antioxidants. In other words, watermelon does the body good. We are lucky enough get feta from a local cheese maker, HB at Spring Mill Farm ( if you are local, check him out!). We tend to keep this stocked in our fridge at all times. Fill your dinner plate with this salad or pair it with a grilled fish or chicken. My kids loved it with a panko crusted chicken and a few croutons. I think it pairs perfectly with skewered shrimp off the grill.
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
- ¼ cup of chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon honey(optional)
- ½ cup EVOO
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 6 cups baby arugula, local if possible
- ⅛ th seedless watermelon, rind removed, and cut in 1-inch cubes
- 12 ounces high quality feta cheese, crumbled.
- 1 cup (4 ounces) whole fresh mint leaves, julienned (optional)
- Whisk together the first four ingredients and add a dash of salt and pepper. Assemble greens. Toss greens with half the mixture. Top salad with watermelon cubes and crumbled feta cheese. Drizzle additional dressing on top of the watermelon and feta. Salt and pepper to taste.