The grocery store aisle with ALL the bars gives most of my clients a panic attack! “Which one is healthy? Which one will keep me full? Does it have enough protein? How many calories? And definitely, which one actually tastes good????” I am usually lucky enough to take my clients on a tour of the grocery store and we literally spend two hours figuring out how to read labels, what ingredients to avoid, and how to pick items that will promote health and not disease. Today, we are talking bars….this section alone takes about 10 minutes. I will give you a list of a few of the bars that actually contain real food and ingredients that you will recognize. These are ingredients that you can find stocked in your pantry.(mostly) Ingredients that will keep you energized. Ingredients that will keep you full and NOT have you craving processed sugar all day long!
1) The Lara Bar. My favorite is the peanut butter and the bar has only 3 ingredients. Peanuts, dates, and salt. This bar is soft and chewy and has nothing bad in it!
2) The Kind Bar. Some have a little added sugar, but are made most from nuts and fruit. Many of my clients get off junk food or highly processed granola bars with this bar because it tastes like a candy bar….well, sort of.
3) The Chia Bar. Packed with plant based omega 3’s which are great for brain health and fiber so you stay full for a while. My favorite flavor is the coffee and chocolate peanut butter. These bars only have a 100 calories so I sometimes grab two. Another great thing to do is buy a bag of organic chia seeds and put them on salads, yogurt, or smoothies. Be aware, chia seeds expand and fill up with liquid so if you put some IN a smoothie rather than on top you must drink immediately or they will become gelatinous. New flavor is the dark chocolate coconut sea salt. Dying to try.
4) Raw Revolution Bar. These taste like treat bars, the only downside is they put a little agave in for a sweetener which I’m not crazy about because of the fructose content and agave is usually highly processed. But these bars taste amazing. Overall, pretty clean.
5) Perfect Bar. I LOVE THIS BAR! It is like a treat to me. Without a doubt I choose the Almond Butter. If I’m in a mad rush and don’t have time to eat, I like this bar because it is made of pretty much real food, has 300 calories so I can use it as a small meal replacement and has a bunch of protein.
All these bars are non GMO which is important to me. I know there are many other brands on the market that I approve….but sometimes a smaller list is best. Now take the time you just saved in the “bar” aisle in the grocery store and use it to go on a walk, take a bath, do some yoga, or just chill.