Savory and sweet with hints of cinnamon and clove, Tikka Masala is everything you need. This is India’s version of down-home cooking that will have you feeling warm and cozy, inside out. Serve with rice mixed with organic coconut full fat milk and make extra for the next day and put it in a wrap with a little rice, tomato, onion and tomato. Kid approved in most households..
Because I have a hard time measuring ingredients when I cook, I could not tell you the exact measurements I have used at home :/ but I found a similar recipe on line at My Natural Family.com. We are far from Paleo family in our household, so we serve with rice and gluten free corn bread. To add green to your meal, roast some broccoli and toss in your masala mixture before serving.
Another SUPER simple way to make Tikka Masala is to find Maya Kaimal’s perfection in a jar. <– They are in glass jars! We have tried all of her sauces and I highly recommend them. I have found them in Kroger, Fresh Market and online. To use the jarred Tikka Masala simply brown your chicken thighs, stick them in the slow cooker, add the full jar of sauce, another full can of organic coconut milk, veggies and cook on high for 4 hours. Serve on top of a bed of rice and enjoy.
Here is the homemade version by http://www.mynaturalfamily.com
- 2 T. Olive Oil
- 6 Chicken Thighs(boneless, skinless), cut into 1" pieces
- 1 Yellow Onion, diced
- 2 t. Garlic, minced
- 2 t. Coarse Real Salt
- 1½ T. Garam Masala
- ½ t. Paprika
- 3 T. Tomato Paste
- 1 28 oz. can Diced Tomatoes
- 1 can(15 oz) Coconut Milk
- Cilantro, to garnish
- Heat the oil in a saute pan. Add the chicken and cook until it is golden brown on all sides. Add the chicken to the slow cooker and put the pan back on the heat.
- Add the onion to the pan and saute for 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic, salt, Garam Masala, and paprika and saute for another minute. Stir the tomato paste in and cook for another minute. Add the tomatoes to the pan and bring to a simmer.
- Pour the tomato sauce over the chicken in the slow cooker along with the can of coconut milk. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6-8 hours. Remove the lid of the slow cooker for the last 30 minutes of cooking to allow the sauce to thicken slightly.
- Serve over rice and garnish with chopped cilantro.