So simple in fact, you don’t need a recipe.
And just in time for your July 4th weekend festivities!
Who doesn’t love a caprese salad? Am I right? Super ripe, sweet, LOCAL summer tomatoes with slices of salty mozzarella and ribbons of crisp, fresh basil. Splash on some good olive oil, maybe some balsamic and BOOM.
I LOVE THIS.
But when serving a crowd (which I do more in the summer when everyone can spread out outside) I like to serve up a chopped caprese with a twist. I add bread to put a little panzanella spin on the salad and spinach so it packs even more of a nutritional punch. Pine nuts give added crunch and texture-which to me is what takes a salad from boring to bright and something people will go back for seconds and thirds!
There is no need to measure, just add what you like in whatever amount. Here’s what you need:
- Local cherry tomatoes, the more color variation the better. Slice in half.
- Fresh buffalo mozzarella or burrata cheese. I will be using creamy burrata because it is INSANE. Tear into bitesize pieces.
- Basil leaves. Either tear into pieces or slice into ribbons.
- Organic spinach. Same as with the basil, tear or slice for easy eating.
- Toasted pine nuts or any sort of nut you like.
- Local, fresh bread from Lorraine’s if you live in Lynchburg or any other clean, whole wheat bread torn into bitesize pieces. Toss with olive oil and toast until lightly browned in the oven.
Put all of your ingredients into a large bowl and drizzle with GOOD, fruity olive oil and a little balsamic if you like. Dash generously with salt and pepper and serve immediately!
Happy holiday weekend y’all!