Okay…the bread aisle is enough to get anyone stressed out. Which brand should I pick? Should I get the honey whole wheat, the multigrain, the high in fiber, the added flax seed, the omega three, the rich in anti-oxidants, the whole grain , the 9 grain that’s natural…..??? You get the idea? It is confusing! It can send you over the edge!
1) Do NOT be fooled by marketers and be tricked into buying crappy bread because the front of the bag tells you it is “healthy.”
2) Read the ingredients and actually know what the ingredients are because you have them in your pantry.
3) Keep the ingredient lists less than 12 items.
4) The first ingredient should say “WHOLE” GRAIN FLOUR OR WHOLE GRAIN WHEAT (unless you have gluten intolerance). It should NOT be enriched flour.
5) AVOID high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, and partially hydrogenated oils at all costs.
6) Best choice…..Buy organic bread at your local bakery!
For a list of breads that will actually give you long lasting energy with real nutrient value and NOT a quick carbohydrate buzz, followed by sleepiness, check out this list from Food Babe. If you don’t feel like reading the whole article (which does have good info if you have the time) then just scroll down to the good bread choices!