Summer (aka Open Season for Rosé) is upon us; long beach days with seafood and drawn butter, naps instead of workouts, Chardonnay instead of smoothies, sunning instead of swimming, tan lines instead of TRX, the list goes on. It’s part of what we all love about summer right? Kids are out of school, alarms don’t have to be set, life is slower. But that doesn’t mean we want to undo all of our hard work; after all it’s also bikini season.
I have a few ideas to help us all stay on track this summer. Let me know if you have any for me to add to the list!
- HYDRATE– Like for real, y’all. I cannot explain to you how much better I feel when I drink TONS of water. Throw in some cucumbers or citrus for added hydration and flavor. Note: seltzer, la croix, iced tea…these are NOT replacements for the real deal h20. So make sure you have water in you and on you always.
- Exercise– I know, I know. You’re on VACATION. But I always feel SO much better when I start every day, even vacation days with some sort of sweat session. Mix it up this summer. If you’re in a new city, try a new studio or workout. If you’re at the beach, go for a run, swim in the ocean, standup paddle board or give surfing a try. Go on a hike, walk, or just hit the gym for a bit everyday and you will thank me (especially when you’re DONE and those endorphins are flowing!)
- Stick to Your Healthy Routine– I needed to remember this on a recent six day trip with my husband. I came home feeling so sluggish and couldn’t understand why. I slept a lot (no baby!), ate well, and exercised regularly. I thought about it later and it must be because I broke from my usual healthy morning routine and my body got a little out of whack wondering what was going on. I start every morning with a TON of liquids. I chase a shot of chlorella and coconut water with warm lemon water mixed with cayenne and turmeric. This is followed by a big glass of ice water, hot green and dandelion tea with Vital Proteins collagen, and finally, a green smoothie with Apple Cider Vinegar. Well, I didn’t have ANY of these on my trip and started each day with bottled water and the buffet at our resort…not my smartest move. So my advice is if you have some healthy, daily routines and rituals, bring them with you on vacation.
- Drink with Caution– It’s vacay, duh, you’re going to want to booze a little (lot). But be smart about it. Pina Coladas and Strawberry Daiquiris look so good whizzing by your pool chair on a silver platter BUT DON’T DO IT. They are full of sugar, chemicals AND alcohol and loaded with tons of crap and calories. Opt for your liquor of choice mixed with ice water and fresh citrus (detox!) or a white wine spritzer (half wine, half sparkling water). Also see rule 1, HYDRATE while you booze.
- Eat What’s Fresh– This is a good rule of thumb for every day life but especially on vacation. We were in Turks and Caicos where the local delicacy is conch. Sure, you can get it fried but we chose to have conch ceviche everyday. Loaded with veggies, citrus, and conch, it was cold and refreshing and super healthy.
- Wear Sunscreen– I had to throw this in there. Y’all. WEAR SUNSCREEN. That is all.
- Jump right back into your fitness and clean eating routine when you get home. I used to think I needed (deserved) a day or two to ease back into the crazy of life after a vacation. Maybe that meant ordering pizza the night after we return. NO! Try to get back to “the real world” and head straight to the grocery store or farmer’s market and stock up on your healthy essentials so you have no excuses!
I only nag you because I love you! <——-I say this to my husband, what a lucky guy!
Happy Summer and thanks for all the love!