OMG ya’ll. On a whim, I just made homemade Lara bar “balls” based loosely on this recipe from this fabulous site by Chocolate-Covered Katie: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/08/12/hot-fudge-brownie-larabars/. I am not the kind of person who has a ton of time on her hands or wants to make things at home when I can get them conveniently prepackaged at the store. However, I have been wanting to try this forever. AND IT WAS SO EASY. Here’s what I did:
- 8 oz. package of organic medjool dates (do not forget to pit, for pete’s sake)
- 1 cup of walnuts
- 1 pinch of pink Himalayan sea salt
- 2 T melted coconut oil
- 3 dashes of cinnamon
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 3 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- Blend in vitamix, may need to add a few drops of water to mix evenly. Roll into balls and BOOM. Store in the refrigerator.
They are like candy! Next time I may try to form them into bars but I like the idea of popping these into my mouth when I need a burst of energy or something sweet.