So guys this is my newish recipe for homemade turkey meatballs that are made even meatier with baby bella mushrooms tucked inside. It’s not exactly sexy or ideal for Valentine’s Day but it is perfect if you want clean comfort food on a freezing night this weekend. Do you have some ground beef at home? Feel free to use that instead. As usual, swap things as you see necessary for your dietary needs and wants but definitely enjoy this easy recipe for meatballs…in the crockpot!
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 8-oz pack sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 egg
- 1 cup whole grain Italian panko breadcrumbs
- ½ cup chopped basil
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- 1-1/2 T EVOO
- 1 T red pepper flakes
- S+P to taste
- 2 jars organic marinara sauce
- Pour evoo in a flat bottom pan on medium heat. Add finely chopped onions and saute until translucent, about 15 minutes. Add finely chopped mushrooms and cook another ten minutes. Throw in chopped garlic, basil, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat. Let mixture cool completely.
- In a large bowl mix beaten egg with turkey and panko. When vegetable mixture is totally cooled, add to the turkey mix.
- When completely mixed roll into small or medium balls and place on baking sheet.
Tip: Roll extra meat mixture into balls and freeze on a foiled cookie sheet for a few hours. Then pop them off and stick into a ziplock bag or container, mark the date, and throw in the freezer to enjoy later! We are all about making things easier and this recipe fits the bill!
Also, make sure sauce in the crockpot covers the balls so they cook evenly.
Top with a little cheese and basil or whatever veggie you like!