"Cream" of Tomato Basil Soup with Leftover Tomato Skins
Author: Blondes Eat Clean
Recipe type: Soup
Serves: 10 servings
- Leftover Tomato Skins from ‘Caramelized Onion Tomato Sauce’ Recipe or about four cups of fresh tomato, pureed
- 2 cups of chopped onion
- 10 Basil Leaves
- 6 garlic cloves (I like garlic…you don’t ? Use less)
- 1 half Jalapeno (deseeded for less spice)
- 2 cups organic low sodium chicken broth
- Add tomato meat, skin or puree to your vitamix or blender with onion (any kind is fine, I had leftover red onion so that’s what I used), garlic, basil, and jalapeno. Blend.
- Add that mixture to a large pan with two cups of chicken broth and a healthy dose of freshly ground pepper. Bring to a boil. This took about 15 minutes (or, forever) on my stove.
- Turn heat to medium.
- Add a scoop (about a cup) of full fat greek yogurt.
- Whisk yogurt through and turn off heat. Serve immediately.
- This makes a lot, about ten servings so it’s perfect to serve a family of four twice with a lunch here and there. It stays good in the fridge for 3 days. Add hot sauce if you like, I always do.
- Also feel free to add homemade croutons or pumpkin seeds for crunch, another small scoop of yogurt for a creamier texture, chopped basil, and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.