When some people hear the word salad, thoughts start to run through their head….Iceberg, romaine, flavorless, ranch, celery, shredded carrots, soft tomatoes, diet, tasteless, etc. The thing of it is, most of the time we have to add so much “crap” AKA (bad) croutons, chemical filled dressings, gobs of cheese, and piles of pasta salad to make our salads taste “sort” of good. Unfortunately, a lot of these ingredients can add up to cost you over 1,000 calories. When researching certain restaurant menus for our clients we find that you can save your work out by ordering a plain cheeseburger or steak with potatoes! Confusing, we know…
This salad….oh my goshhhhhhhhh! It is a meal that feels and tastes like a treat. It is tasty, savory, and very filling. Make it for yourself and enjoy by yourself or serve it as a hefty side a long a small piece of protein and you have a beautiful meal that will be as good or better than your favorite fancy restaurant. Go for it. Make it now. The mixture of flavors and textures may possibly blow your mind. We’re talkin’ salty, tangy, sweet, crunchy, warm, chewy all happening at once. I’ve had friends return from a full out dinner and STILL couldn’t, didn’t, wouldn’t resist a plateful. Okay, so you get the picture. This salad is for salad lovers, but more importantly, for salad haters. Haters may not hate anymore after this one.
- 5 ounces organic Arugula (one small container)
- 5 ounces organic spinach
- 3 cups brussels sprouts
- ¼ cup feta cheese (in the brine, full fat)
- 1 apple
- 1 pomegranate
- ¼ red onion
- ¼ cup raisins
- 20-25 whole raw walnuts
- 2 tablespoons grass fed organic butter
- ½-1 teaspoon cinnamon
- sprinkle of cayenne pepper or crushed red pepper
- drizzle of honey
- ¼ cup cold pressed olive oil
- ⅛ cup organic lemon juice
- pink salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice brussel sprouts thin. Drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper and roast in oven for about 20 minutes or until crispy.
- In a small saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter and add walnuts, cinnamon, salt, and cayenne. Once golden brown remove from stove and drizzle some honey. It will appear to be burning but it will taste perfect.
- Add all ingredients, olive oil, lemon, salt and pepper to mason jar and shake. Put arugula and spinach in large bowl and lightly toss with dressing. Do NOT over dress the salad.
- Divide arugula and spinach onto four plates. Add chopped or sliced apple, raisins, pomegranate, feta cheese, red onion, and nuts. Add hot Brussels sprouts to the top.
- Try not to die from happiness.