Vitamin D! I am so happy to walk outside and feel the heat. I am even more happy that a lot of our favorite fruits and veggies are in season. It is the time of year our bodies want to naturally cleanse the few extra pounds we may have put on in the colder months. That means eating a lot of water dense food that keeps us hydrated and feeling great. Today I am featuring the mot beautiful, delicious veggie that does not get enough attention, The Cucumber. When you look up the benefits of cucumber so many different articles pop up. One of the first things I read is that cucumber is considered one “the worlds healthiest food” .. which a lot of nature’s food has been coined. But I did find that research on the anti-cancer properties of cucumber (still in the preliminary stages) show that cucumber contains unique compounds that can help fight cancerous cells. It is a nutritional powerhouse that we would love for you to incorporate in your every day diet. Additionally, I found some other benefits that may be a bit more exciting to you: strait from natural news.
1.Quick pick me-up – Cucumbers are a good source of B vitamins. Put down your sodas and coffee and eat a cucumber slice.
2. Rehydrates body and replenishes daily vitamins – Cucumbers are 95 percent water, keeping the body hydrated while helping the body eliminate toxins. Cucumbers have most of the vitamins the body needs in a single day. Don’t forget to leave the skin on because the skin contains a good amount of vitamin C, about 10 percent of the daily-recommended allowance.
3. Skin and hair care – If you don’t like to eat the skin, it can be used for skin irritations and sunburns as aloe would be used. Place a slice over puffy eyes and its anti-inflammatory properties help reduce puffiness. The silicon and sulfur in cucumbers help to stimulate hair growth.
4. Fight cancers – Cucumber are known to contain lariciresinol, pinoresinol, and secoisolariciresinol. These three lignans have a strong history of research in connection with reduced risk of several cancer types, including breast cancer, ovarian cancer, uterine cancer and prostate cancer.
5. Home care – Eliminates a foggy mirror. Before taking a shower, rub a cucumber slice along a mirror and it will eliminate the mirror fogging up. Instead of WD40, take a cucumber slice and rub it along a squeaky hinge and your door will stop squeaking.
6. Relieves bad breath – Take a slice of cucumber and press it to the roof of your mouth with your tongue for 30 seconds, the phytochemcials will kill the bacteria in your mouth responsible for causing bad breath.
7. Hangover cure – To avoid a morning hangover or headache; eat a few cucumber slices before going to bed. Cucumbers contain enough sugar, B vitamins and electrolytes to replenish many essential nutrients, reducing the intensity of both hangover and headache.
8. Aids in weight loss and digestion – Due to its low calorie and high water content, cucumber is an ideal diet for people who are looking for weight loss. The high water content and dietary fiber in cucumbers are very effective in ridding the body of toxins from the digestive system, aiding digestion. Daily consumption of cucumbers can be regarded as a remedy for chronic constipation.
9. Cures diabetes, reduces cholesterol and controls blood pressure – Cucumber juice contains a hormone which is needed by the cells of the pancreas for producing insulin which has been found to be beneficial to diabetic patients. Researchers found that a compound called sterols in cucumbers may help reduce cholesterol levels. Cucumbers contain a lot of potassium, magnesium and fiber. These work effectively for regulating blood pressure. This makes cucumbers good for treating both low blood pressure and high blood pressure.
10. Promotes joint health, relieves gout and arthritis pain -Cucumber is an excellent source of silica, which is known to help promotes joint health by strengthening the connective tissues. They are also rich in vitamin A, B1, B6, C & D, Folate, Calcium, Magnesium, and Potassium. When mixed with carrot juice, they can relieve gout and arthritis pain by lowering the uric acid levels
Okay, the real reason I wanted to write about cucumbers is because I am slightly obsessed with cucumber sandwiches, cucumber water, cucumber juice, and cucumber gazpacho. Now that you know you are eating a perfect food… here are some recipes I found to help motivate you to eat more! When we purchase cucumber from the store it may contain a waxy coating that we want to avoid. Try to find an organic cucumber or buy local. We have cuc’s growing in the backyard right now. They are the best.
First and foremost…
- 2 pieces of bread from the local market or Ezekiel bread, or your favorite gluten free bread. (you can also make this an open face sandwich like we do)
- a bit of organic mayo
- sliced cucumber
- seasoning like salt, pepper, dil, garlic, or whatever you want
- dress bread with mayo. Put sliced cucumber on top. Salt and pepper it. Top with favorite seasoning.
Try this beautiful and tasty cucumber infused water.
Or this delicious mixed drink for hot summer nights (or days). The cucumber basil gimlet. Hell yes.
Drink your infused water and your gimlet and eat Basil Cucumber Gazpacho for an appetizer. (with a Cuc Sandy)
The possibilities are endless! Take care and clean a cucumber. No seriously, it’s hilarious to watch someone clean a cucumber under water.