We live in the south and it is loaded with watermelon farmers, it’s steamy hot, and we are in need of some serious hydration, not too mention July is National Watermelon Month…… So it’s time to whip up this clean summer cocktail and chill. Not only does it taste delicious but watermelon is loaded with many healing properties. (maybe not as much when the vodka is added….but still, we cannot be perfect)
FIVE FUN FACTS ABOUT WATERMELON:
- IT’S MADE OF 91% WATER SO IT IS SUPER HYDRATING
- WATERMELON HAS MORE LYCOPENE THAN RAW TOMATOES (a powerful anti-oxident)
- WATERMELON JUICE MAY RELIEVE MUSCLE SORENESS (watermelon contains l-citrulline, an amino acid that seems to protect against muscle pain.
- WATERMELON IS A FRUIT AND A VEGETABLE (it is related to the cucumber, pumpkin and squash family and a clue that it is both a fruit and veggie is the rind is entirely edible and it is a seed producing plant)
- SOME WATERMELONS ARE YELLOW (the yellow crimson watermelon has a honey flavor is slightly sweeter)
So whip up a batch of this summer treat and enjoy! It’s even delish without the alcohol. Just replace the vodka with nothing or add a cup of sparkling water for a bubbly kick!
- Half of a watermelon (4 cups of juice)
- ¼ cup organic lime juice (more or less to taste)
- 4 shots organic vodka
- 6 mint sprigs
- Juice a ½ of watermelon. If you don't have a juicer that is fine, the martini will just be thicker.
- Put watermelon juice in blender.
- Add lime juice.
- Add vodka.
- Blend for 20 seconds.
- Put in martini shaker with lots of ice and shake like a crazy person.
- Pour in a martini glass and top with fresh sprig of mint.
- Smile....a lot.
Happy Summer, XOXOXO