Searching for "game changer"
Isn’t the BEC Green Smoothie THE BEST SMOOTHIE EVER? Guys, it really is. But, believe it or not, I have a few ways to make it pack even more punch without realllllllly changing the taste (too much).
1. Mix in a little water. I like my smoothie with a looser texture so I used to add extra coconut milk (my current non dairy milk of choice). Recently I starting using half coconut milk, half cold water and you cannot taste a difference. Love the texture, love using less milk, and obviously it contains less calories!
2. Throw in some seeds. I used to swallow a spoonful of chia seeds every morning then it got to the point where I would rather stay in bed all day then walk down the stairs and choke down chia seeds. Now I drop a tablespoon of the white or black variety into my smoothie (we love the seeds by Health Warrior). Chia can makes things “gelatinous” but this small amount doesn’t change the consistency and adds Omega-3s, protein and fiber. Flax seeds are also always in my smoothie; they’re cancer and disease fighting so why not?
3. Camu Camu Powder. I love throwing some of this fine powder in my green smoothie every day. It is full of immune boosting antioxidants and Vitamin C.
4. Cinnamon has so many benefits we should all be sprinkling it onto everything all the time. To name a few it’s anti-inflammatory, contains antioxidants and multiple nutrients, and can even boost your mood!
5. Change up your greens game. We know the usual green smoothie suspects…kale and spinach. But try mixing it up. Today I used a bag of romaine in mine and as usual, delicious. Try micro greens, beet greens, collards or dandelion greens (these last two can be bitter so maybe use a little less for your first attempts). Different greens give us different things, y’all!
6. Throw in a splash of Apple Cider Vinegar. Just a bit won’t alter the taste but you get loads of benefits such as lowering blood sugar, aiding in weight loss, and fighting bacteria!
Do you have any smoothie tips that you love? Let me know!
Stop! Warning! This is not very glamorous.
But, as you know, I love reading about your day, your schedule, your routine, your ritual, your whatever. I find it fascinating. Mine not so fascinating; but I am really liking my mornings now that I have a great rhythm with my ONE YEAR OLD. If you don’t care, keep on scrolling but if you’re like me and enjoy a peek into the start of someone else’s day read on.
My morning routine often starts the night before. I pull out my three tea bags and place them in a mug near my Keurig. I take a (clean, empty) baby food jar and dump about two tablespoons of cold pressed coconut water and a tablespoon of Spirulina or Chlorella powder, give it a good shake and stick it in the fridge. These couple of steps maybe save me two minutes in the morning but to me, every second counts.
Also, I don’t set an alarm, I have a baby who lets me know when it’s time to wake up.
He. Is. An. Awesome. Sleeper.
So, every morning starts the same around 7:00 when I hear Aubrey starting to coo and talk from his room across the hall. Thankfully I have always been a pop out of bed, non snooze button user so I do just that. I get right up and hit the bathroom to chug 8 oz of water and then spend about two minutes dry brushing my body. IT IS THE BEST. You can read my post on it here and a great goop article here.
I then take a quick shower and get dressed. Aubrey is still chatting away playing in his crib with his lovies, happy as a clam.
My three dogs and I head downstairs, they go outside, I flip on the news, and I am off to the kitchen.
I get the hot water flowing into my mug with the tea bags I laid out the night before. Green Detox, Dandelion Root, and Skin Tea are my current favorites. I also love Big T NYC tea but if I need to grab something quick I like the Yogi brand I can buy at my local market.
After adding 16 oz of water to my large mug I throw in two scoops of Vital Proteins Collagen Powder. I then set it aside to cool, dissolve, and steep.
I drink a warm lemon water to chase my made-the-night-before green algae drink from the baby food jar. Guys, it isn’t tasty, it isn’t pretty, but it’s doable and it is super good for you. I take it like a shot and drink a bit more of my lemon water.
I then whip up Aubrey’s milk, let the dogs in and feed them, and then FINALLY go get my baby (literally my favorite part of the day) around 7:30.
After getting him changed we head downstairs where he has his milk and I make him a scrambled egg, a piece of Dave’s Killer Bread raisin toast and cut up fruit (a lot of strawberries, blueberries, and mango this summer). While he eats, I drink my tea and make my game changer green smoothie with SO MANY GREENS and throw in add ons like camu camu which is super high in Vitamin C.
I share my smoothie with Aubrey and he absolutely loves it!
By this time, his sitter is arriving and I am heading to Iron & Grace for a killer workout and then off to start my day.
I am usually so full from my breakfast routine that I don’t need anything further until 1:00 when Aubrey and I have lunch together.
It probably seems like a lot but this routine really flows well for us! Now, I would love to know how you spend your time each morning!
So salads have a bad name. It’s “a side” or something you should eat on a daily basis because you were told they were healthy. But we want to change your mind on what a salad should look and taste like. We want you to learn to build the most perfect, delicious and filling salad you will crave every single day.
First, Some pictures to inspire you!!! …
I KNOW! That’s ROMAINE. sorry, it’s “static” and the blonde got the best of me :/ SPELL CHECK
THIS IS GETTING GOOD but the next could be your biggest game changer
AND MEAT! You really do not HAVE to get a protein on there but how ’bout the first picture? Baked salmon and a fried egg. (OMG so good) Or grilled chicken, shredded meat and whatever you are making for dinner. Honestly, make this salad your WHOLE PLATE and then add 3 ounces of protein. You have a plant based, delicious salad.
Dressings are hard. Because you have something salty, sweet, cheesy, proteiny (new word), warm, crunchy, the dressing will not be the big game changer. NO NEED FOR HEAVY RANCH NOW! woo hoo. It is delicious as is.. but our dressing recipe brings a bit of acidity to the salad which balances every part of it out.
Now go volunteer to make a salad and blow minds!
Happy warm weather